I can’t sing for shit, which makes this sound even more fun. I was just singing the opening of Albert Ayler’s Spiritual Unity in the hallway (it was empty, thankfully), and the idea came into my head. I think a lot of it would start to sound like death metal cartoon music.
Other free jazz great’s that would be great a cappella are:
- John Coltrane’s Interstellar Space
- The Cecil Taylor Unit (mid-70’s)
- Pharoah Sanders on Sonny Sharrock’s Ask the Ages
- Anything with Evan Parker
- Or Masada
- Plus highlights from Peter Brötzmann’s Machine Gun (I think this would sound like Beavis and Butthead on meth)
- And much much more!